Tuesday 23 February 2016

1950's Textile Inspiration

Wonderful 1950's textiles.....what can I say?  Perfect inspiration for some simple screen printing.  I had some fun with these.......and then I just couldn't resist sharing the fun by teaching a class on it.  

Here are my prints:

They are actually printed as single motifs on calico shopping bags - I've zoomed in for the photos



I think because so many of those textile designs were done with cut paper, they work really well as simple paper stencils.  And so easy to register the different colours - if you get it wrong, it really doesn't matter. (On the matter of registration I seem to have picked up a line of text from my previous blog entry and I have no idea how to get rid of it)
I'm sure you recognise  the elements in these designs from the wonderful 1950's designers: Marian Mahler, Lucienne Day,  Mary White etc. Just line, plane and colour. So nice to play with.


And here are some interpretations by students at Textiles in Focus on Sunday:




2 comments:

  1. Lovely prints... And good to see you at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou, Gina. it was lovely to you too!

    ReplyDelete