Sunday 4 October 2020

Natural Dye Samples

I really love old textile sample books.  

There is a book I've seen somewhere which came from a Victorian textile factory, swatching dye colours with formulae handwritten alongside each sample.  There are lots of these on Pinterest though I can't find the exact one that I have in mind.  

It's kind of like this one  New York Swatch  but a bit more technical.

Anyway,  here's some of my little natural dye swatch book that I've been adding to over the summer.

 

It's been like an alchemnist's laboratory in my studio, all steam and bits of bark! 



These are all variations in colour using logwood dye with various mordants and modifiers.
 

The same on silk - Some knockout colours                                                                                                    
                                          

More dusky colours with Copper.
                          

                                                                        And so many dyestuffs still to be tested!

 

I used Jenny Dean's recipe in her book -  Wild Colour, which I can't reccommend highly enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment