Saturday 2 May 2020

Creative Isolation

Isolation-  and how to make the most of it? 

I know there are people who are bored at home, but not me.  Oh no, I have a lifetime of stuff I've been saving for just this moment.  I finally have revenge on the minimalists of this world.  I have clutter and I am glad of it!  

One of my students once said that she was sure I had a house full of beautiful things I had made. I had to set her right- I have a beautiful house full of beautiful materials for beautiful things things that I'm going to make...one day.  Indeed, my proverbial 'rainy day' has come!

The first week, I got out my mordants and cottons and set myself up to do some natural dyeing and printing.  I produced a lot of fabrics and I have to say, the results were generally quite underwhelming.  

 I mean the bundles looked great as they came out from steaming,



 and one fabric looked rather lovely.


but generally I got a lot of these:


 Actually I lie - this was the best of the rest.  I got an awful lot of beige.

But I did get some great photos from the process, like this one of the steamed foliage.


It's like something out of the swamp - which is what the fens once were. 

So all is cyclical.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment